After an exhausting weekend helping my daughter pack and clean her apartment and then relocating her hundreds of miles away, this old lady needed some TLC. Before leaving home, I’d read an article titled Facials to Feast Upon. One recipe in particular caught my attention – maybe because it contained beer or maybe because it claimed to brighten. And I desperately needed to be brightened. From reading the article, I learned that: the ingredients in beer help to “dissolve dead cells and increase the skin’s luminosity;” the yeast in the beer and the egg white combine to create a “mask that hydrates and improves the elasticity of the skin;” and the vitamin C in the lime “helps to clear pores and fade brown spots.” What a wondrous way to spend 10 minutes and what a good excuse to drink up the remaining beer in the bottle!
Brightening Beer Facial
Real Simple Magazine, April 2014
1 egg white
1/2 cup beer (any brand)
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1. Combine the egg white and beer with the lime juice.
2. Slather onto the face.
3. After 10 minutes, rinse with warm water.
1. The article mentions for best results to “gently cleanse and exfoliate” your skin prior to applying the mask.
2. This facial smelled fresh and left my skin feeling smooth and more taut.
3. I stored the remaining concoction in an airtight container in my refrigerator. I’m not sure how long it will keep this way, so I plan on using it a few more times this week before discarding it. It’s so easy to make, you can whip up a new batch anytime you want.