Quick, how many words can you think of that contain the word “size”? I’ll get you started with capsize, apotheosize, emphasize, downsize, supersized, fantasize, hypothesize, oversized, sizeably, synthesized . . . Okay you take over!
#1 – Calorie Counter
At Calorie Lab you can type in almost any food and it will pull up different calorie counts for that item, depending on restaurant or manufacturer. Alternatively, you can look up a restaurant and search the menu for calorie counts. For example, I typed in lasagna and it pulled up a long list of frozen and restaurant prepared lasagnas and their corresponding calorie counts.
#2 – Making Sense of Portion Sizes
Here’s another site that helps you to make good choices. Meals Matter is a website that has a wealth of information on nutrition, healthy living, meal planning, recipes, creating a cookbook, and personal fitness planning. I read an article called Making Sense of Portions Sizes which has suggestions to help you remember portion sizes:
- Woman’s fist or baseball—a serving of vegetables or fruit is about the size of your fist
- A rounded handful—about one half cup cooked or raw veggies or cut fruit, a piece of fruit, or ½ cup of cooked rice or pasta – this is a good measure for a snack serving, such as chips or pretzels
- Deck of cards—a serving of meat, fish or poultry or the palm of your hand (don’t count your fingers!) – for example, one chicken breast, ¼ pound hamburger patty or a medium pork chop
- Golf ball or large egg—one quarter cup of dried fruit or nuts
- Tennis ball—about one half cup of ice cream
- Computer mouse—about the size of a small baked potato
- Compact disc—about the size of one serving of pancake or small waffle
- Thumb tip—about one teaspoon of peanut butter
- Six dice—a serving of cheese
- Check book—a serving of fish (approximately 3 oz.)
#3 – Mattress Fit for a King
Do your bed sheets never seem to fit? My main issue is that when I am shopping for sheets, I can never remember which king-sized mattress I have. So here’s a little refresher course on mattress sizes for anyone who gets as confused as I do.
King = 76″ wide by 80″ long
California King = 72″ wide by 84″ long (narrower and longer)
Queen = 60″ wide by 80″ long
Full (double or standard) = 54″ wide by 75″ long
Twin = 39″ wide by 75″ long
Okay, my mattress measures 72″ wide by 80″ long – so what size is that?
#4 – Expand Your View of the World
Cool Things In Random Places has great photos of fascinating things in the world. If you need to unwind, just spend a couple of minutes looking through some of these photos!
#5 – A Sizable Quote
“You can’t do anything about the length of your life, but you can do something about its width and depth. ”
– Shira Tehrani –
Hope you find all your Easter eggs this weekend! And remember, not to put all your eggs in one basket!