Hold the ketchup! Hold the salt! These baked sweet potato fries are perfect just the way they are! Perfect for dogs, that is. If most people could adjust their palates to accept baked fries with no added sodium, these would be perfectly delicious for humans, too!
Sweet Potato Fries For Dogs
Adapted from a recipe from Food.com
Uncooked sweet potatoes or yams
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
2. Wash the skins of the sweet potatoes thoroughly and blot dry.
3. Cut the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise.
4. Cut the halves in lengthwise slices.*
5. Place the slices on a cookie sheet in a single layer.
6. Bake in the oven for about 3 hours.
1. I experimented with two varieties of sweet potatoes. My dog liked them both, but obviously the orange variety is more attractive-looking.
2. Try cutting the sweet potatoes as uniformly as possible for consistent baking. Leave the skin on for added fiber and micronutrients.
3. I set my oven to 280 degrees F. and baked the fries for 3 hours. Some of the fries were crunchy and some were chewy at this point. If your dog likes them crunchier, remove the crunchy ones from the sheet and continue to bake the chewy ones a little longer.
4. *As the slices bake and lose moisture, they will shrink. Take this into account when you are slicing the sweet potatoes and make the slices the appropriate size for your dog.
5. Sweet potatoes will release a sticky syrup as they bake, so I covered my baking sheets with parchment paper.
WOOF! WOOF! ENJOY!