Bits of dark leafy kale combine with chunks of creamy avocado for a super nutritious salad. But wait, there’s more! Toss this salad with a fresh homemade citrus dressing and top it with a generous scoop of nutty-flavored hemp seeds. This lovely green salad proves that eating healthy can be simple and delicious.
Kale and Avocado Salad
Recipe found in Saveur: The New Classics Cookbook
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 tsp. soy sauce
1 clove garlic, smashed and chopped into a paste
4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
3 avocados, pitted and peeled
2 tbsp. raw hemp seeds (optional)
1 bunch kale, stemmed and finely chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Whisk together orange and lemon juices, soy sauce, and garlic in a bowl. Slowly whisk in oil; set dressing aside.
2. Cut 2 avocados into 1/2″ cubes and thinly slice the remaining avocado.
3. Put cubed avocados, half of the hemp seeds (if using), and kale into a serving bowl.
4. Toss kale mixture with dressing and season generously with salt and pepper.
5. Divide salad among plates and garnish with sliced avocado and remaining hemp seeds.
Serves 4 to 6
1. When tossing the salad, do not pour in all of the dressing in at one time. Pour a little bit in at a time and toss until the greens are lightly coated. You will have leftover dressing.